Help & Support

Being part of a family business, even one as successful as ours, means you can expect an unparalleled level of support as you develop your vision for your dream pub. It starts the moment you make your first enquiry and continues throughout your time with us. We’ll support you all the way.

First of all, the less experienced  will be required to complete a short British Institute of Inkeeping (BII) online training course called Pre-Entry Awareness Training or PEAT to make sure you know just what you’re taking on. After all, a lot of people think running a pub will be a doddle and that’s just not the case.

If you haven’t already got a Personal Licence you will also be required to undertake the Award for Personal Licence Holders course (APLH).

Once the above is completed and if you are successful at our interview stages, you will then spend time with your Operations Manager who’ll help you get set-up and take you through the induction process and site review, as well as going over all the necessary red tape. As if that’s not enough, once you’re in the pub and ready to get rolling you then get a further two, half days’ training, free of charge, taking you over everything you need to know about running your own business and how to get your pub off to a flying start. And, just to make sure that crucial first year is made as easy as possible for you, we’ll even cover your accountancy costs for that period, give you two free stock takes and teach you how to maintain your beer so it achieves the industry accredited standard Cask Marque.

For more information, click here to view the Code of Practice.


Making your Hydes pub a roaring success is obviously largely about running it with personality. Yet getting the message out there is something we’re definitely on-hand to help you with. That’s why we offer free marketing, such as websites, flyers, posters, menus and other point-of-sale materials.

You’ll want to give the place your unique stamp, so we’ll also help you with your branding initiatives, making sure that customers far-and-wide know that this is your place and why that makes it special. From PR and online presence right down to the menus sitting on your tables, we’ll make sure people know just what makes your pub such an appealing place to stop in for a drink or a bite to eat.

All marketing support is, of course, flexible and determined by what you’d like to achieve. We’re open to your ideas and will do everything we can to make them viable and successful.

For more information, click here to view the Code of Practice.


Whether you’re experienced in running a business or starting from scratch, we’ll help you to learn or refresh the skills that will make all the difference in running your pub.

As a BII accredited training centre, we’ve received the highest grades for the quality of our training. We offer all kinds of training sessions including all your legislative needs such as Food Safety as well as customer care and cellar management courses. Whether you want to try your hand at chalkboard writing or improve the profit on your food, we will have coaching or more formal training available for you – take your pick.

Learning is undertaken at the brewery, in your pub, or another of our pubs near to you – what’s more, we offer e-learning opportunities too, so you can choose as and when you undertake your training. Plus, our mentors are always on-hand to offer you a spot of marketing or beer quality advice, and you’ll be part of a broad network managers and Tenants who’ll be happy to offer you their two-penneth.

For more information, click here to view the Code of Practice.


As a Hydes Tenant and small business owner, you’ll be affected by a variety of employment legislation.

We offer you all the support we can to make sure you can cope with any issues that arise in this area. From advice over the phone, to providing template policies and even sitting with you through disciplinary hearings.

This starts from the moment you go into the pub, as when you take on a site you usually take on the employees from the outgoing Tenant, abiding by their existing terms and conditions of employment.

It’ll be your responsibility to comply with all relevant legislation and we’ll offer FREE help so you can complete any necessary due diligence.

For more information, click here to view the Code of Practice.


As a new pub landlord or landlady, there are lots of Health & Safety related areas you’ll need to familiarise yourself with and become adept in. We have our own Health & Safety Advisor, Tony, who will visit your site within your first few weeks – giving you all the pointers and information you need.

Even if you’ve run a pub before, you might well need some refreshers. Either way, we’ll give you all the support we can with courses to make sure you’re operating to the very best standards – the Hydes standards.

Here are some examples of what we offer:

Level 2 Award in Health & Safety at Work

This course provides knowledge of the basic health and safety practices that are essential in the workplace and is designed to ensure that everyone is aware of their own safety and the safety of customers, contractors and the public.  We offer this as a one day course or an online course that can be completed at your own speed.

Level 2 Awards in Food Safety

This course provides fundamental food hygiene knowledge for all food handlers and assessment is through a multiple choice exam. We offer this as a one day course or an online course that can be completed at your own speed.

Conflict Resolution & Personal Safety

Designed in conjunction with conflict management specialists, this one-day programme deals with everything from the relatively minor problems of people causing a nuisance to serious incidents involving physical abuse and damage to property.

As if that’s not enough, we even offer free fire risk assessment.

For more information, click here to view the Code of Practice.


We work with numerous companies to help provide the best deals for our Tenants ranging from:

  • The right level of insurance cover
  • Rates appeals
  • Finding the best utlility rates and other major costs to the business such as phones, broadband, bins, etc

Our preferred suppliers, will extend to our tenants, the same terms that we receive as a Managed House purchaser for:

  • Wines, spirits and minerals
  • Food and menu support

Giving you the flexibility of a small operator and the buying power of a large company.


When it comes to being kept in the loop, regular visits by your Operations Manager, as well as information from Accounts, and Marketing are just the beginning.

AWRS Registered in accordance with the Alcoholic Liquor Duties Act 1979
Website designed and maintained by TXD Digital Marketing